Saturday, June 23, 2012

Going away presents

Even though it has passed, I wanted to show you what my grade level team did for presents for the fourth graders who were leaving our school to head to the middle school in the fall.  The kids LOVED them!  One of my teacher friends and I just completed our master's program and had learned about Wordles (www.wordle.net) during our classes.  I had seen an idea to use them as year end student gifts on Pinterest.  The third graders (that share a homeroom with them) listed words two of three words that described each of their fourth grade classmates.  We compiled the words to make the Wordles for them.  The more times a certain word was said about someone, the bigger the word gets.  Also, we typed each student's name 10 times to get it to be the size you see in the picture.  We wanted their name to stand out.  We then printed and framed them. The third graders, the teachers and Ed Techs signed the back of the frames in silver Sharpie.  They were so proud of their gift they help create for their fourth grade friends and the fourth graders absolutely adored them.  I can't think of a better gift for the students leaving our school!



3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing! I plan on doing this sometime with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing. I plan on making these for my students sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leslie! Thank you for your comment! The kids LOVED them!!! :-) When making these on wordle.net, to make the student's name bigger, you need to type this name many times. We typed it 5 times and copied and pasted it.... so it was either 20 or 25 times to make their name large to stand out. If you have any other questions about it later on, don't be afraid to ask. Their classmates signed the back of the frame in silver sharpie. :-) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Any comments are more than welcome! :-)